Author Topic: Introduction Of Foreign Species Into New Habitats  (Read 7552 times)

Sheldon J. Plankton

Introduction Of Foreign Species Into New Habitats
« on: June 22, 2005, 08:01:27 am »
What do you think of native animals being moved to different places other than their native homeland, much of it having to do with the stupidity and carelessness of humans. I disagree with this. A lot of times hwen a new species gets introduced to a new place they start killing off the native species in the area that are vital to the balance of the ecosystem. There are too many examples to name.

I made this topic becuase I recently watched a thing on the news about how my state is getting a beetle native to the West Coast and taking it hear to get rid of a beetle species native of Asia. This is not a 100% good descision. While they are getting rid of a destructive non-native species that has been in the wrong place, chances are this new beetle will multiply in New Jersey, and for all we know they could start a decent population here and be destructive to native species. This is not good.

What do you think about this in general and that particular situation?

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 11:16:13 am »
The UK have your American cockroaches....they infest and stuff....it's the same with Rabbits introduced to Australia...they are pests.
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

Eva:Gina

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 11:03:36 pm »
^^ and mammels of any kind (excpet out native bats) in new zealand
ecosystems are there for a reasona nd human migrations have screwed the whole thing up!!!

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 01:12:13 am »
No...human smuggling of exotic animals has caused the problem...stupid people and their pathetic excuses for brains.

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

Gideon Brown

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 03:16:45 am »
I do believe rats and mice come from overseas, and was brought to America. Correct me if I'm wrong, and it's the other way around.

I do not agree with bringing new species into the mix. The St Lawrence River is threatened by a new type of crab that will kill other species, by eating all the food.

As well, we humans farm fish that are native to the Atlantic Ocean on the coasts of the Pacific. These fish escape their pens, and infect the wild fish with their diseases, as well as breeding with other fish, creating a new, dangerous species. The Altantic Salmon is the most aggressive salmon in America, and if they don't breed with the other salmon, they will kill them.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 09:10:04 am »
There has been a problem with cranefish in the UK...the American (small) ones have been eating all our UK (big) ones food....so the numbers are thin.
The American cranefish don't even taste as good. XP

Sheldon J. Plankton

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 09:38:39 am »
There has been a problem with cranefish in the UK...the American (small) ones have been eating all our UK (big) ones food....so the numbers are thin.
The American cranefish don't even taste as good. XP
[snapback]196032[/snapback]

Cranefish, I've never heard of them. Could you post a picture?

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 12:34:07 pm »
They look a little like lobsters...only white/grey/blue in colour.
Only they are small.

Gideon Brown

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 01:56:42 pm »
Errr....do you mean crayfish? They're like itty bitty lobsters.....

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 08:34:33 pm »
I do believe rats and mice come from overseas, and was brought to America. Correct me if I'm wrong, and it's the other way around.

I do not agree with bringing new species into the mix. The St Lawrence River is threatened by a new type of crab that will kill other species, by eating all the food.

As well, we humans farm fish that are native to the Atlantic Ocean on the coasts of the Pacific. These fish escape their pens, and infect the wild fish with their diseases, as well as breeding with other fish, creating a new, dangerous species. The Altantic Salmon is the most aggressive salmon in America, and if they don't breed with the other salmon, they will kill them.
[snapback]195929[/snapback]
no, you already had rondent, its just htat they were native rodents that had their own niche, and didnt deprive otehr animals of food.
introduced animals are the ones that cause problems.

eg:nz, possums were brought over from aussie for some reason, to do with having a pest tree growing and the possums liked to eat this tree.
but possums liked our natives even BETTER! And nz trees grow really slowly.
now all our forests are being completly destroyedby the buggers

but in aussie, possums are protected.

Gideon Brown

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 09:01:23 pm »
There are more than one type of rodent. Rats are just one of them. I was merely saying that I thought they were brought over by the Europeans, and apparently, according to scientists, I appear to be right. Dear God, that's different!

Rats are mammals and belong to the order "rodentia" (the Latin word meaning "to gnaw"). Their close relatives are rabbits, hamsters and gerbils. There are two widely spread types of rats: the black rat (rattus rattus) and the brown rat (rattus norvegicus). Both of them are thought to have originated in Asia and spread into Europe. Indirectly these animals are responsible for a great number of deaths among humans.

Therefore, originating in Asia, and spreading to Europe, they consequently were transported to the Americas via boat, either by accident, or on purpose, as Europeans enjoyed breeding rats to force terriers to kill as many as they could kill in an allotted time period.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 09:02:45 pm by Gideon Brown »

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 09:07:04 pm »
^^
but america isnt part of europe. i was saying that you had your own rats, or maybe its mice, but they wernt harmfull cos they evolved witht he habitat.
yeah, america had those little hopping mice, didnt it??
they are so uber cute.

yeah, rats were brought to my country by the maori, and our stupid flightless birds couldnt handle

Offline Rocko

• SpongeBob
  • Initiative comes to thems that wait.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 09:38:02 pm »
In the southern U.S. there is this asian vine called kudzu, and it's chocking the forests!

In order to make it through the world one needs some insanity.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 09:42:50 pm »
vines can be really, realy bad.
has anyone ever watched the david attenborough series "private llife of plants" (semi off topic here, but meh)
tis really good

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 01:54:14 am »
Yes, I've seen that before...it was OK..but plants bore me a great deal...except trees.
And yes, Gideon, it IS Crayfish...must have not been my day for spelling. ^_^;