AIM
11 (50%)
Yahoo
1 (4.5%)
IRC
0 (0%)
Jabber (If so which one)
0 (0%)
Another protocol (multiple Ims in one program)
1 (4.5%)
Another IM Service
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: What IM?  (Read 9330 times)

Offline SpongeBrain

• SpongeBob
  • YEEAHHHHHHH
    • View Profile
What IM?
« on: October 27, 2005, 06:09:35 pm »
I use Gaim because it's better programed than Trillian and you can customize the smilies to make them Trillian Smilies or make them native smilies. :wink1: I can use all of my Im services in one App.

edit: Although I do use Trillian sometimes (because of the features) when it's not in "crash mode".
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 06:12:32 pm by SpongeBrain »
All Time

Weekly

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 06:14:51 pm »
MSN is my main IM.  I use AIM and Yahoo as well, but I prefer MSN over them all.

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
What IM?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 06:16:19 pm »
AIM  is my main. I prefer MSN thouugh.

Lil Loco

What IM?
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 06:35:50 pm »
AIM iz wut i use most, but i use YIM too...jus got MSN too.

Chrono

What IM?
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 06:42:38 pm »
I use msn. I dont know anybody with AIM (like classmates or family)

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 06:46:30 pm »
I use AIM the most but I've been getting on MSN more for some reason.

I also use YIM but not very often.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 08:56:39 pm »
I got trillian 3.2 workin fine. trill 3.0 was all buggy.

with all the plugins i use, it's priceless.

and yes, i have tried gaim and i can say i dislike it more than burnt waffles

garyfan

What IM?
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 03:33:24 am »
AIM is my main one. But MSN does rock.

Offline Scilla

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 05:24:31 am »
AIM. But I use the others, too.

UltraSpongeyDude

What IM?
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 07:34:20 am »
I use MSN. Always have and always will. Its mainly because everyone that I want to talk to has MSN, but it's also cause im used to the control's.

Offline RandomDude18

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 09:38:41 am »
Gaim is much better than Trillian.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
What IM?
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 01:46:56 pm »
I got tired of Trillian's absurd instability, I dislike Gaim's interface, and Miranda is impossible to enjoy, so I went back to the basics.  I now use Pork exclusively.  It's nice because I can SSH to the server via anything with an internet connection and have access to the AIM windows I already had open.  That, and it takes no resources on the client side except for the miniscule amount PuTTY needs.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 01:47:14 pm by cmonkey »
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Offline Compwhiz128

• SpongeBob
  • This Wal-Mart Operating System....
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 02:01:59 pm »
Aim, Msn, Icq, Yim are a breeding ground for spyware. Gaim dont do squat,  so Trillian > all other IM programs.
There is no such thing as peace and there never will be. Peace is a delusion believed by the weak. Gandhi said : "An eye of an eye would leave the whole world blind". So be it because only a blind world can experience the peace that it deserves. But there in lay the sick irony. Who will be able to see this peace? The human species is at war. The enemy walks among us nearly invisible. Only those with true discernment can see them. But only one with discernment and vision can show them to others

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 02:49:42 pm »
Aim, Msn, Icq, Yim are a breeding ground for spyware. Gaim dont do squat,  so Trillian > all other IM programs.
[snapback]249357[/snapback]
And, where did you hear this?

Offline SpongeBrain

• SpongeBob
  • YEEAHHHHHHH
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2005, 03:07:24 pm »
Gaim dont do squat
Hmmm... let's see what Trillian does:

-Crashes almost every time you try to start it up
-Sponotaiously crashes
-Takes about a half a minute to start up
-Has smilies that arent native to the messenger your using
-Lags
-Constantly freezes

But hey, Trillians ok...
All Time

Weekly

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2005, 03:37:57 pm »
Gaim dont do squat

-Sponotaiously crashes
-Lags
-Constantly freezes

But hey, Trillians ok...
[snapback]249363[/snapback]
Haha. Nice.

Trillian has never onmce shut me down, but I still have my reasons to hate it:
  • Takes like a minute and a half to boot. I could have YIM MSN, and AIM up by then
  • I had to to reset my AIM Password 3 TIMES for Trillian to work with my AIM
  • Lags
  • You have to download all the features that messengers such as MSN have(like games, udges, winks, etc.)
  • Bad Buddy List/IM Interface]
  • Users usuing Trillian cannot recieve winks, game invites, etc. UNLESS they have the speciefic plug-in installed
I might get GAIM someday. I still like my native mseengers sperately though. I hate Trillian.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 03:39:39 pm by IceFox »

Offline Compwhiz128

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2005, 03:47:01 pm »
Gaim dont do squat

-Sponotaiously crashes
-Lags
-Constantly freezes

But hey, Trillians ok...

Obviosly your machine sucks!
Dunno what you are sayin, but Trillian only crashed when Chris was using buddy kill on me.
Same as first.
Oh waaa! their just smilies, you can modify them anyway
Same as first.
Same as first.
Haha. Trillian has never onmce shut me down, but I still have my reasons to hate it:

* Takes like a minute and a half to boot. I could have YIM MSN, and AIM up by then
    * I had to to reset my AIM Password 3 TIMES for Trillian to work with my AIM
    * Lags
    * You have to download all the features that messengers such as MSN have(like games, udges, winks, etc.)
    * Bad Buddy List/IM Interface]
    * Users usuing Trillian cannot recieve winks, game invites, etc. UNLESS they have the speciefic plug-in installed

I might get GAIM someday. I still like my native mseengers sperately though. I hate Trillian.

Obviosly your comp sucks.
Your account most likley was terminated.
Acctually no you dont, just like GAIM, Trillian doesnt have that.
Obviosly your comp sucks.
IMO it is more organized than YIM, MSN, and AIM
Like I said GAIM and Trillian don't have those.

A note to everyone including me: Do some research before you post.
There is no such thing as peace and there never will be. Peace is a delusion believed by the weak. Gandhi said : "An eye of an eye would leave the whole world blind". So be it because only a blind world can experience the peace that it deserves. But there in lay the sick irony. Who will be able to see this peace? The human species is at war. The enemy walks among us nearly invisible. Only those with true discernment can see them. But only one with discernment and vision can show them to others

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2005, 03:52:24 pm »
Woah. Ok. My comp sucks? My computer does not suck. So far, EVERYTHING I have put onto it( a lot of crap, trust me) has worked without a problem.

My account was not terminated. If it was, then how have I been able to BE ON AIM ?!?!?!?!?!? And if you mean my Trillian account or whatever, it wasnt because my MSN was working fine on it. Nudges, Games, etc.: You CAN get those features BUT you have to go through and download it all. They are add-ons

« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 03:57:48 pm by IceFox »

Offline Compwhiz128

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2005, 03:59:00 pm »
Woah. Ok. My comp sucks? My computer does not suck. So far, EVERYTHING I have put onto it( a lot of crap, trust me) has worked without a problem.

My account was not terminated. If it was, then how have I been able to BE ON AIM ?!?!?!?!?!? And if you mean my Trillian account or whatever, it wasnt because my MSN was working fine on it. Nudges, Games, etc.: You CAN get those features BUT you have to go through and download it all.

Why don't you do a little more research next time?
[snapback]249381[/snapback]
Well trilly for me loads in like 10 sec. max for me

Oh my mistake, misread your statement, thats common, I forgot my password to aim several times before I wrote it down.

Dunno what ya be talkin about, I got all my plug-ins.

Buddy, I am too FAT!!! to do research.

J\k

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2005, 04:01:45 pm »

My account was not terminated. If it was, then how have I been able to BE ON AIM ?!?!?!?!?!? And if you mean my Trillian account or whatever, it wasnt because my MSN was working fine on it. Nudges, Games, etc.: You CAN get those features BUT you have to go through and download it all.

Why don't you do a little more research next time?
[snapback]249381[/snapback]
Well trilly for me loads in like 10 sec. max for me

Oh my mistake, misread your statement, thats common, I forgot my password to aim several times before I wrote it down.

Dunno what ya be talkin about, I got all my plug-ins.

Buddy, I am too FAT!!! to do research.

J\k
[snapback]249384[/snapback]
I didnt forgot my password. I had it with me, in my head. I have my password memorized. It DID NOT work. I spent an hour fiddling with it until I decided to get a new password, which *gasp* didnt work. Third time, finnaly worked.

Also my system is a custom built WinXP Pro, 114 gig, lots of ram(check later)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 04:05:02 pm by IceFox »

Offline SpongeBrain

• SpongeBob
  • YEEAHHHHHHH
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2005, 04:03:18 pm »
Obviosly your machine sucks!
[snapback]249378[/snapback]
Its a custom made WinXp, almost 40 gbs, and a bunch of ram. Trillians just really buggy.
All Time

Weekly

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2005, 04:45:51 pm »
Aim, Msn, Icq, Yim are a breeding ground for spyware. Gaim dont do squat,  so Trillian > all other IM programs.
Funny how I dont have an ounce of spyware that comes from it.

Jackie-Boy

What IM?
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2005, 04:46:51 pm »
Did you guys know that Gaim is actually gay AIM?

Offline SpongeBrain

• SpongeBob
  • YEEAHHHHHHH
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2005, 04:50:02 pm »
[snapback]249401[/snapback]
:biggrin: HeHe. And plus, where did you get the idea for yor sig?
All Time

Weekly

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2005, 05:16:09 pm »

-Sponotaiously crashes
-Lags
-Constantly freezes

But hey, Trillians ok...

1. Just wondering, but are you trying to use a downloaded version of Pro? Cause it'll do that all the time without proper updates. If using free version, then you probably don't have the newest one. I suggest trying Trillian RIGHT NOW.
2. I had it spontaneously crash on me once. And that was because I was trying to install a very old-school Trillian 1.0 plugin that I liked.
3. Takes 5 seconds for me to start up. Either your skin requires way too much resources, or your computer is slow from not defragging every now and then. Or it's just a cheaper dell that is only fast for the first 2 months...
4. It has about 10 smiles that are different. Don't use em if you don't like em. ALL of the MSN and AIM ones are in there (dono bout yahoo, never had the yahoo messenger). I like em, and people that have trillian that I chat to love when I use em. Especially *middlefinger* :D
5. Once again, try either newest free version of trillian or try it on a different, newer computer. Wondering why a program like that runs slow on a 250$ Dell (just sayin, not implyin) is a bad question.
6. Never froze on me once. It only crashed that once with the plugin issue above.

Haha. Trillian has never onmce shut me down, but I still have my reasons to hate it:

* Takes like a minute and a half to boot. I could have YIM MSN, and AIM up by then
    * I had to to reset my AIM Password 3 TIMES for Trillian to work with my AIM
    * Lags
    * You have to download all the features that messengers such as MSN have(like games, udges, winks, etc.)
    * Bad Buddy List/IM Interface]
    * Users usuing Trillian cannot recieve winks, game invites, etc. UNLESS they have the speciefic plug-in installed

1. Takes me 5 seconds. I recommend not using the default skin, as it is very large in file size. Mine is about 1/8th the size.
2. Reseting your password just meant that your trillian wasn't up to date. They were updating it like crazy back in the day, cause Yahoo and AIM would make their passwords not work on trillian. lol, blame aol/time warner :D
3. Once again, change skin, get newest version of trillian, try not to use downloaded version of Pro, and make sure your computer isn't a $250 Dell that only works efficently for 2 months. They only have 256mb of ram in them, which can't run XP without freezing when you open 2 IE frames :P
4. WHAT?!? You certainly need to tweak it a bit to get it where you like it. I categorized everything, and have categories that I don't talk to closed. Jeez, you sound like you tried the first beta 5 years ago...And try a new skin while you're at it...I couldn't disagree with you more on this point....
5. Well then get the plugin and stop moaning :D ....naa, I think ur referring to the feature in MSN....I believe that MSN has some sort of hold on that feature and the people that made trillian can't put it directly on there, hence the need for a plugin.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 05:44:26 pm by +_VulturEMaN_ »

Offline SpongeBrain

• SpongeBob
  • YEEAHHHHHHH
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2005, 05:53:46 pm »

-Sponotaiously crashes
-Lags
-Constantly freezes

But hey, Trillians ok...

1. Just wondering, but are you trying to use a downloaded version of Pro? Cause it'll do that all the time without proper updates. If using free version, then you probably don't have the newest one. I suggest trying Trillian RIGHT NOW.
2. I had it spontaneously crash on me once. And that was because I was trying to install a very old-school Trillian 1.0 plugin that I liked.
3. Takes 5 seconds for me to start up. Either your skin requires way too much resources, or your computer is slow from not defragging every now and then. Or it's just a cheaper dell that is only fast for the first 2 months...
4. It has about 10 smiles that are different. Don't use em if you don't like em. ALL of the MSN and AIM ones are in there (dono bout yahoo, never had the yahoo messenger). I like em, and people that have trillian that I chat to love when I use em. Especially *middlefinger* :D
5. Once again, try either newest free version of trillian or try it on a different, newer computer. Wondering why a program like that runs slow on a 250$ Dell (just sayin, not implyin) is a bad question.
6. Never froze on me once. It only crashed that once with the plugin issue above.
[snapback]249409[/snapback]
1) I have the newest version.
2) No comment.
3) The same on every skin. My computer is VERY well made. It's custom made.
4) I mean that the ones in gaim are more organized. If you use aim it has aim icons. You can download a Trillian Pro smily pack for Gaim. (animated smilies!)
5) I dont have a dell....
6) No comment.

EDIT:
You know what, lets stop talking about this whole Gaim vs. Trillian thing.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 05:54:53 pm by SpongeBrain »
All Time

Weekly

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2005, 06:55:00 pm »
Ya I agree, I'll just use Trillian and be happy :P

but pls remember, just because your computer is custom made doesn't mean it's well made. hence marshall's comp that was custom made, then wouldn't even boot after 1 year because it...what?...was turned off for 3 months...lol

Mine cost me a pretty penny to make (ask cmonkey, he'll confirm that I overspent...the same parts are about 1400$ now and then they were 1900$)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 07:13:36 pm by +_VulturEMaN_ »

Jackie-Boy

What IM?
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2005, 08:11:36 pm »
[snapback]249405[/snapback]

Um... "THIS IS A FOURMS"? It was a quote from someone here a while ago. I thought it was funny how terrible his spelling and grammar are. LOL@GRAMAR

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2005, 08:12:40 pm »

Um... "THIS IS A FOURMS"? It was a quote from someone here a while ago. I thought it was funny how terrible his spelling and grammar are. LOL@GRAMAR
[snapback]249471[/snapback]
I rememeber that. SponeBrain was the one in the 'debate'

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
What IM?
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2005, 01:25:21 am »

but pls remember, just because your computer is custom made doesn't mean it's well made. hence marshall's comp that was custom made, then wouldn't even boot after 1 year because it...what?...was turned off for 3 months...lol

Mine cost me a pretty penny to make (ask cmonkey, he'll confirm that I overspent...the same parts are about 1400$ now and then they were 1900$)
[snapback]249425[/snapback]
Hahaha, Marsh's computer.  We're sticking linux on that thing and using it as a server.  I'll prob convince him to install Pork on it (on topic!).
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Offline SpongeBrain

• SpongeBob
  • YEEAHHHHHHH
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2005, 09:34:07 am »

[snapback]249471[/snapback]
I rememeber that. SponeBrain was the one in the 'debate'
[snapback]249472[/snapback]
Oh yeaahhh... it's actually said, "THIS IS A FROUMS" :P Lawl.
All Time

Weekly

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2005, 10:15:02 am »

[snapback]249425[/snapback]
Hahaha, Marsh's computer.  We're sticking linux on that thing and using it as a server.  I'll prob convince him to install Pork on it (on topic!).
[snapback]249550[/snapback]

I hated the case, the mobo (after i learned more about it), the vid card, the ram....everything...it should be burnt NOW

then again, maybe linux could help it...

rav, have him get a new hdd...he let it sit in the back of his car for those 3 months and thats why it's prolly screwed up...being bounced hard...

and for his own sake, get him a sata...they're cheap as dirt...

TearfulxRose

What IM?
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2005, 08:25:53 pm »
Skype.

Offline LE

• SpongeBob
  • with walls of the deepest blue
    • View Profile
What IM?
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2005, 08:30:46 pm »
MSN (Windows Live, it is now called)
AIM