Author Topic: Kazaa: Illegal Or Not?  (Read 9190 times)

jastERmine

Kazaa: Illegal Or Not?
« on: October 20, 2003, 03:25:42 pm »
well..i've heard a lot of comments going around that kazaa is illegal, and no it's legal, and blah blah blah blah. well here in san diego, it's been old news that police man people whoever they are are hiring college students (part time) to track down kazaa downloaders and turn them in. then the people who gotted caught getting the music/pictures/movies/etc. are fined. a lot. this one kid (twelve years old) was tracked and he (or his parents) have to pay thousands. i don't know. this is just ponderinginging me. i hate it when this happens.

-breaks down, smoke clears from head-

mermaidman97007

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 03:50:37 pm »
well, Kazaa by itself isnt illegal, its the files shared that are. According to riaa(recording industry artists association) it is copyright infringement to "share" your files, because the artists that wrote it dont get paid for it. I feel personally that if people stopped becoming artists for the money, then we'd get better music out of them, but then again if it was all free then there'd be no good music, so its kind of a trade off. but ya, kazaa isnt illegal, but depending on what you do with it, it can be used illegally

Offline Hannahbal

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 03:55:07 pm »
I have Kazaa Lite, so now I have it to where you can't share files. So now there's no paying for me! Muahahaha!

jastERmine

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 03:56:36 pm »
LOL. that's funny. loofah loofah loofah.

well........ haha. bored. i don't know. but my dad deleted kazaa anyway. -precautions, precautions-

super_sayian_spongebob

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 03:58:02 pm »
I still don't know how to get Kazaa. Anyone?

Patrick

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 04:01:26 pm »
Download it off Kazaa. :tongue:  

Offline Hannahbal

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2003, 04:07:14 pm »
I'm not supposed to use Kazaa, my parents think that we will be fined, but I still use it anyways  :tongue:  

mermaidman97007

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2003, 04:29:04 pm »
The only way you can get fined on Kazaa is by sharing your files, the riaa is hiring people to download on Kazaa, and report the IP of the people they downloaded from. From there they use an IP lookup to see what ISP uses the IP, then they sue the ISP to get to the user. But ya, they can only come after you if they downloaded a "copyrighted" song from your hard drive
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 04:29:55 pm by mermaidman97007 »

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2003, 05:23:05 pm »
I wrote a long angry speech about this a month or two ago, I'll try to find it...

Ah, here it is:

It's really sad how stubborn and clueless some of you people are. Ok, I'm going to start out by saying that KAZAA ISN'T ILLEGAL. The program in itself is perfectly legal. It's just a way of transferring files from one person to another. It is possible to use it illegally though, when the files being transferred are copyrighted, and the person sending it or recieveing it does not have the rights to the file. This is what the whole RIAA issue is about. The RIAA is a firm that protects the copyrights of it's clients, who are the record companies. The RIAA's goal is to stop the illegal distribution of it's copyrighted materials on Kazaa. Right now, employees at the RIAA and visiting Kazaa and are searching for music files that are copyrighted by it's clients. When they find the files, they download them and see who it is that they are downloading from. They then get the person's IP address by using netstat. Netstat is an ms-dos command that show's any internet transfers being made. After getting the person's IP/Domain name, they file a subpoena that allows them to go to the person's ISP, which has to give the name/address/telephone number of the user who had the IP address at the time of the file transfer. As of right now, around 1,100 subpoenas have been filed by the RIAA. The RIAA is then going to file lawsuits against those people. So that sums up the RIAA process, now for some Q&A:

Q: So that means that using Kazaa is illegal, right?
A: No, it only means that sending copyrighted files that you don't have the rights for is illegal. Any file that isn't copyrighted is legal to distribute on Kazaa

Q: Can I get arrested for downloading files off of Kazaa?
A: No, actually you can't. The RIAA can only file a subpoena if they downloaded an illegal file off of you. The RIAA can't put up copyrighted files and then sue you if you try to download them, because that would be entrapment.

Q: Is the government going to arrest me?
A: No, the government currently is not doing anything about this. These are civil cases, RIAA vs. filesharer, not criminal cases, Government vs. filesharer. So a lawsuit will only result in a loss of money, not going to jail. Also, the RIAA wants to settle as many cases as possible out of court to save legal fees. This isn't a campaign to try to make more money for themselves, as they are already getting paid well by the record industry. This is propaganda to try to scare people out of using Kazaa.

Q: What are the chances of me being sued?
A: Not very high. Millions of people use Kazaa, but only 1,100 are going to be sued right now. Also, those being sued are people who share a LOT of copyrighted materials for the most part. If you disable the uploading of files in Kazaa, then there's a 0% chance of getting sued.

Q: What is Kazaa Lite, and how can it help me?
A: Kazaa Lite is a version of Kazaa that has no Spyware or Adware. It also has additional tools that can speed up downloads and just generally improve the Kazaa experience. It can also prevent you from getting sued, because it has an option to disable letting people see what files you have. It also blocks IP address ranges used by the RIAA, but that feature isn't likely to help much, because the RIAA can easily use other IP addresses.  
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 05:24:17 pm by cmonkey »
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

garyfan

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 05:07:34 am »
it is illegal in my state. they have arrested people. how stupid. The NY gov't is so strict

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 05:20:06 am »
it is illegal in my state. they have arrested people. how stupid. The NY gov't is so strict
Read what I just wrote. :sleep:  

spongebobmonkey

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2003, 01:59:15 pm »
I don't share any files, not even one. I just get em from other folks. n I use WinMX, its smaller but has all the songs ever and isnt so mush heard of. It rox. use that instead. i hate all that stupid talk bout fining and arresting ppz.. i mean, Hello?! this is so stupid. y dont they fine people for taping the songs off the RADIO! its the same thing but instead of a radio and cassette, its a computer and a CD. good grief...

garyfan

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2003, 02:15:22 pm »
The still fine or arrest ppl in NY!

mermaidman97007

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2003, 02:19:03 pm »
How can they do that without breaching you right to privacy??? I mean to do what you are saying they would have to be able to break into your computer, and see that you are using the software, then find out if you are using it illegally...and to do that they either hafta hack yer box, or actually come into yer house, and see you using it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 04:39:52 pm by mermaidman97007 »

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2003, 03:44:39 pm »
The still fine or arrest ppl in NY!
No, they don't.  Read what I just wrote!  

mermaidman97007, they don't need to do anything like that.  Read what I wrote above.  The entire process is written there.