Author Topic: Reviews of the episodes on the "Whale of a Birthday" DVD  (Read 5452 times)

ernest310

Reviews of the episodes on the "Whale of a Birthday" DVD
« on: November 05, 2006, 06:58:24 pm »
Haven’t written anything on the forums for a while!

Anyway, since I don’t even have basic cable in my room (I’m not a TV-watcher at all, really), I see my SB episodes through the DVDs that come out.  Noting that folks are still waiting on “Wigstruck” from another thread, I thought I’d briefly review the 7 episodes that came out on the “Whale of a Birthday” DVD (which includes that episode.)  Since it appears that I might be reviewing episodes that many of you haven't seen yet, possible small plotline spoilers may follow:

“All That Glitters”: 2/10
As I mentioned on another thread earlier, this is one of the worst episodes of SB that I’ve seen.  OK, there are a few funny lines here and there, so I’ll give it a 2.  But what is it with SB and nudity? (See below)

“Whale of a Birthday”: 4/10
This one was OK at best, nothing special.  Definitely better than “All That Glitters.”  Loved Mr. Krabs’ comment about it being more appropriate for Pearl to have her bedroom on the ground floor.

“Once Bitten”: 6/10
I thought this episode was awful the first time I saw it.  This was mainly because Gary’s behavior didn’t make any sense.  The episode was better the second time through, since now Gary’s behavior could be accounted for.

“Chimps Ahoy”: 10/10
This is one of the best SB episodes I’ve seen, in any season.  The whole concept of Sandy’s bosses coming over to critique her inventions was very clever, and it also helps us head-scratchers understand what Sandy was doing in an underwater tree dome in the first place (“Doesn’t make much sense, when you get right down to it,” as Dr. Marmalade put it, one of the many great lines in this one.)  If I had a gripe, it would be that the plotline is a bit too close for comfort to “Texas.”  I keep expecting “Mister Doctor Professor Patrick” to ask Spongebob “Do you think she knows the Muffin Man Song?” after Sandy finishes hers.

“Bummer Vacation”: 7/10
This is one of those rare episodes I did end up catching on TV, but I tuned in about 3-4 minutes into the episode, and so I didn’t know which one it was.  Overall good concept that was executed well, but could have been better.  Patrick laughing at his static-filled TV was classic.  Like the thread that reviewed this episode, I too thought the Krusty Krab action figures part was clever.

“Wigstruck”: 9/10
This episode is very good.  Spongebob comes across a ridiculous-looking wig and wears it everywhere, not realizing that everyone’s laughing at him, not with him.  Overall, I think they’ve captured the essence of Spongebob’s naivete fairly well here.  Sandy, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, and Squidward all have hilarious exchanges with Spongebob as they see the wig (and the fact that Spongebob loves it) for the first time.

“That’s No Lady”: 7/10
Not a bad episode by any means.  Like “Wigstruck,” the writers captured Patrick’s stupidity fairly well.  The ending was just terrible and again leaves me wondering (as with “All That Glitters”) what it is about this show’s seeming obsession with nudity.  Oh well.

bub1028

Re: Reviews of the episodes on the "Whale of a Birthday" DVD
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 05:17:58 am »
I got it three days ago, and I feel so proud that I've seen these episodes before they aired.  However, you can see my other reviews in another topic, so I'll review Wigstruck and That's No Lady.  Anyways...

Wigstruck: Strongly disliked it.  Yes, it does capture SpongeBob's character, but the only real height of the episode was when he had to give it away.  Not funny to me at all.  2/10

That's No Lady: Better than Wigstruck, but not the best.  Loved Patrick's new look, though.  The part with the vacation guy was stupid, even if it was essential to the plot line.  4.5/10

PatSponge StarPants

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 06:29:12 pm »
I might get this DVD, but only for "Wigstruck" and "That's No Lady" since they haven't aired yet.

BiggerSquarierSpongier

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 06:01:50 am »
I might get this DVD, but only for "Wigstruck" and "That's No Lady" since they haven't aired yet.
Yah, but they're airing in like 2 weeks, so you might want to save your money. :)

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 09:50:38 am »
Yah, but they're airing in like 2 weeks, so you might want to save your money. :)
werd to that

Wigstruck airs next Friday (suppose to)
Thats No Lady airs Nov 24/25

evol687

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 12:09:17 pm »
nudity was drop dead hilarious in the end of pranks alot

reminded me of the early red hot chili peppers or the movie porkys