Author Topic: Mp3 Player Suggestions?  (Read 3177 times)

UltraSpongeyDude

Mp3 Player Suggestions?
« on: November 25, 2006, 11:35:34 am »
Im looking at getting a new MP3 player, but I cant find many that have everything that I want. So far, my top 2 choices are the Zune and the Creative Zen Vision: M, but those have a few issues that i'd rather not have in my player, so I want to know if anyone knows of any better ones.

Here is what I want in my MP3 player:

- In the $200-$300 range.
- Plays videos.
- Is 30 gigabites, im not sure if I want to go over that because of the price thing.
- Has at least a 2.5 inch screen (or whatever size the Creative Zen Vision: M has. Im pretty sure that its 2.5 inchs, but I might be wrong.
- Does not scratch very easily (if it does scratch easily, then It would be good if it came with a case).
- Comes with all the cables that I need to make it work.
- Is not rare.
- Has a voice recorder, and can listen to FM radio. An FM radio recorder would be nice, but I dont need it.

Also, I do not want an iPod. They are really cool looking, and they have most of the features I want, but apparently they scratch very easily and attract lots of finger prints.

Right now im leaning more towards the Zune, because it has a very large screen, and apparently it does not get scratched easily or get a lot of finger prints on it. The Creative Zen Vision: M is nice, but i've read that the screen is not very good, and that its hard for two people to watch a video at the same time on it. Also, apparently it scratched almost as easily as the iPod does. While I would probably be able to live with those drawbacks, I would rather get something that does not have them. Thats why id rather get the Zune. Unfortunately that has some drawbacks as well, such as battery life, and the fact that its pretty big compared to other players. Also, the screen apparently is not as sharp as the iPods, but that does not really bother me.

I've read good things about the Toshiba Gigabeat, but I dont think that thier very widely available. Also, it does not have as big of a screen as the Zune. I've also read some good reviews of the Archos 404 (or something like that). But, those are a little bit out of my price range.

Does anyone have any suggestions of good MP3 players? Thanks!

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
Re: Mp3 Player Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 05:35:49 pm »
Getting scratched easy can be fixed by getting a 3rd party screen protector. I did it for my brother's SP and love it.

They sell them everywhere. Just grab one :D

UltraSpongeyDude

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 05:27:18 pm »
Im actually looking at iPods now. The 5.5G looks pretty good. It has all the features that I need in an MP3 player, and looks really cool. I just have a few questions about it:

- Is the screen good for watching videos?
- How long does it take to convert other music file types into whatever type of file iPods accept? I read somewhere that it took 3 days, but I dont really believe that.
- Can you download iTunes for free on the internet? I read that the 5.5G doesnt come with an iTunes disc.
- Does it come with all the neseccary cables?
- How long does the battery last?
- How long does the iPod last? I read that some people have gone through 2 in 24 months.

Anyway, thats all the questions that I have. Actually, one more. If anyone owns a Zune, then could they tell me, is the software really bad. I read in many places that its terrible.

carterhawk

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 08:28:46 pm »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 10:47:45 pm by The All Seeing Eye »

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 03:46:05 am »
3. My lil bro's next-gen Shuffle didn't come with a iTunes disc. You can just download iTunes for free from Apple's site.

And yes, the Zune software is HORRIBLE. If you really want a zune, wait a good 5-6 months for them to fix the installer disc that they sent out.

UltraSpongeyDude

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 08:15:44 am »
Thanks for the help. I think that I might chose an iPod now. Of course, it will depend on if Microsoft releases any really great updates for the Zune.

UltraSpongeyDude

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 08:24:37 am »
I have one more question about iPods: can you rip DVD's to iTunes? If not, is there a program that I can rip DVD's to, then import the files to iTunes?

Also, can anyone tell me which is better: an iPod or a Creative Zen Vision:M?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 12:12:38 pm by UltraSpongeyDude »

carterhawk

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 11:51:03 pm »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 10:46:49 pm by The All Seeing Eye »

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 03:21:16 am »
I have one more question about iPods: can you rip DVD's to iTunes? If not, is there a program that I can rip DVD's to, then import the files to iTunes?

Also, can anyone tell me which is better: an iPod or a Creative Zen Vision:M?

Google 'DVD to iPod'...somewhere along the way, you'll probably find a program called 'SMART'....it doesn't convert from DVD, but it converts to any format....so w/e :P