Author Topic: E3!  (Read 8802 times)

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
E3!
« on: May 11, 2004, 05:13:39 pm »
The yearly spring E3 has started!  Some great news so far.

1.  Full specs and pics of the PSP.  It looks amazing... 4.3 inch screen.  Incredible performance.

2.  Nintendo DS.  Pics and some announcements.  FAILURE.  This, my friends, is the certain death of Nintendo.  I know that people have been saying that for years, but this is for real.  Nintendo's console business has flopped, and they are the only major console maker to not have clear plans for thier next console.  Their means of existance rested in thier handhelds.  After looking at pics of the DS, I know it's a failure.  First of all, the thing is massive.  It has 2 3 inch screens, with a total width of about 5 inches.  The top half of the unit is the same size as the bottom half, creating something strangely remeniscent of a Game Gear when closed.  With 2 backlight screens, I'm expecting the battery life to be similar.  In my opinion, Nintendo will survive off of sales of the SP for a while, but in the long run, it will lose out to the superior (but more expensive) PSP as well as the new threat of gaming on cellphones.  (every kid has one now...)

3.  HALO 2!!!  November 9th!  I've been waiting so long for this.  This will sell millions of copies.  Other Xbox news, EA is finally going on Xbox live.  EA is the largest 3rd party publisher on earth, so thier support means a lot.  There will probably be Xbox 3 related announcements later this week.

4.  There have been a few items about PS3, but other than that, it's pretty quiet on the Sony console front.
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Offline AppleNick

• SpongeBob
  • ドブネズミみたいに
    • View Profile
E3!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 05:30:53 pm »
1. PSP... mmmm...

2. Bleh! Teh DS don't look too good.

3. W000000007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Can't wait for teh PS3 to come out.

foulpattie

E3!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 05:39:59 pm »
I read somethings on Ign today and they had good things to say about Halo 2. The Multiplayer is better and stuff. It looks fun. Another thing is that Retro Studios is showing Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.  Also there are rumors about a new mario ADVENTURE game. No racing or party. A NEW adventure game.  
Some other games...

Final Fantasy XII
Killzone
New Zelda
Paper Mario 2
Kingdom Hearts II
 and lots more i can't remember  

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
E3!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 05:42:23 pm »
Oh ya, I forgot about the new Zelda game.  Thankfully they are abandoning celshading.  That had to be one of Nintendo's worst mistakes.  (and they've made many).  It looks pretty cool, although the video doesn't show much.

Offline spongemonkey13

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
E3!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 05:43:23 pm »
never heard of this. i am not a big gamer.

foulpattie

E3!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 05:47:13 pm »
here are some pics of the PSP PSP

EDIT: It looks like there's more than one color. Black, olive green, white
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 05:50:36 pm by foulpattie »

Patrick

E3!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 05:50:12 pm »
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Multiplayer. Awesome graphics. Yay. The new video of it is so awesome. The Zelda video looks nice too. I can't wait. You can find the Metroid Prime 2: Echoes trailer here.
Note: I'm not trying to advertise.

Offline spongemonkey13

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
E3!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 05:51:41 pm »
looks pretty cool to me. its like ps1 and a gba combined.

Patrick

E3!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 05:54:48 pm »
Copied and pasted from another forum:

From a Gamespot news item:
"Although Nintendo's presentation isn't until later today, USA Today has revealed both the exterior appearance and interior of its new portable, the DS. While the article points out several well-known details about the DS--for instance, that it will have two screens--the article did confirm rumors about the device.

First was its estimated price point, which will run in the $150 price range. Secondly, the DS will have Bluetooth functionality, allowing players to engage in close-range wireless multiplayer matches. Third, one of the screens will be touch-sensitive, allowing players to physicially control gameplay with a PDA-like stylus.

Fourth and perhaps most importantly, the DS will be able to play both traditional Game Boy Advance games and new DS games. According to USA Today, the device will have slots for both the larger GBA cartridges and DS game cards, which will apparently be much smaller in size."

foulpattie

E3!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 05:57:57 pm »
I just found out that there releasing FF 7: Advent Children in a special format disc so you watch & buy it for the PSP. It's also coming to normal DVD. It must be really powerful.

Offline AppleNick

• SpongeBob
  • ドブネズミみたいに
    • View Profile
E3!
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 06:19:11 pm »
The DS looks good. That's the first teh pic i've seen of teh DS, and it might keep up with PSP if lucky.

There will probably be Xbox 3 related announcements later this week.

You mean Xbox 2?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 06:21:54 pm by patrick101 »

foulpattie

E3!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2004, 06:23:39 pm »
It's so freakin huge. It looks hard to use the controls. What's the purpose of the two screens? And I don't think it's nearly as powerful as the PSP. The PSP will rule the Ds.

...didn't you just say that Ds didn't look good  :huh:  

Offline AppleNick

• SpongeBob
  • ドブネズミみたいに
    • View Profile
E3!
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 06:25:29 pm »
My bad. I meant didn't sound teh good. I probably like teh DS because of teh aluminum on it.

foulpattie

E3!
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 06:35:24 pm »
woah crap! Gran Turismo and Metal Gear solid games for the PSP!!! Gran Turismo looks awe-some.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
E3!
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2004, 06:38:52 pm »
Yea!  PS2 quality graphics in pocketable form.  It looks a little bigger than the average handheld, a 4.3 inch screen makes it worth the size.