Author Topic: Graphics cards  (Read 4556 times)

King Neptune

Graphics cards
« on: October 14, 2006, 08:06:45 am »
I'm finding some laptops between $500 and $700 and I'm researching (I guess you could call it that) which graphics cards are better but I want some opinions.
Which one of these do you think is the best?

1.Intel GMA900

2.Intel GMA950

3.Intel Extreme Graphics 2

4.ATI Radeon Xpress 200M

5.ATI Radeon Xpress 1100

6.ATI Mobility Radeon X300

7.NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150
or
8.ATI Radeon Xpress 1150

So yeah which one do you think is the best out of all of these?

Note: If you want to see the laptops I'm looking at, then go to http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2030260032+4021&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=32

Those are the ones I'm thinking of getting.

Also Note: I will mostly be using it for games but I won't have A LOT of games. I will only have about 3 maybe on the laptop.
One will be World Of Warcraft (for sure) and like 2 more but not sure which ones yet, I do know they will be shooters with great online support.

So yeah help me out please.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Re: Graphics cards
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 09:44:36 am »
None of those are really going to adequately run any DirectX9 games.  Your best bet out of those would probably be either the Go 6150 or the x300.

The better choice is probably getting a Dell and loading it up with coupons, as Vulture would also suggest.  For example, check out this: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=i6400sd310&s=bsd

At stock, it is $700.  You can upgrade the LCD to XGA for free, and you can upgrade to an x1300, which is semi-decent, for $50.  And thats without even using coupons.
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 10:24:51 am »
Unfortunately for you, they only give out viable coupons to their small business customers.

If you must have a good graphics solution, and care more about that then having dual core, then look at these stats:

$889.00   
Inspiron 9300
Pentium M - 1730
Genuine Windows XP Media Center 2005
17" XGA screen (17" screen is HUGE. This screen will look incredible.)
80 GB EIDE Hard Drive (5400 RPM) (can be upgraded to a 7200rpm drive for cheap if you ever need it...the one cmonkey posted above is also 5400 for the base model).
2 gigs of ram (great for gaming)
DVD/RW Burner
256MB NVIDA GeForce Go 6800 (the best vid card solution for the money you want to pay)
Standard 90day warranty

It's in the Dell Outlet part of their site, which is only useful to me for older high-end discounts and great deals on OptiPlex desktops.

Make sure that the "Stockrooms" menu says 'Inspiron and XPS Notebooks' and that the "Video Card" menu says '256', then hit "Submit". Then click the word "Price" in the price column to order them by price from low to high. It should be the second system listed (will say 2000 in the ram column). It's listed as item "FCMECAW6".

Note that it's also listed as a scratch and dent model. This basically means that it's been refurbished so that all of the internal parts , screen, and keyboard are working, but that the outside casing might be scratched. If you don't mind this, plopping down the extra dough is well worth it if you're not going to utilize dual core.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 10:38:21 am by VulturEMaN »

King Neptune

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 08:33:44 am »
Wow these are really good but Vulture I couldn't find the one you were talking about, I went on but couldn't find it.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 10:33:10 am »
yea...someone already bought it :P

You just need to spend some money :P

Go for something with a x600...that will probably keep you happy...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 10:36:41 am by VulturEMaN »

King Neptune

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 10:35:51 am »
Oh lol.

darn but yeah I'm looking everywhere and I'm finding semi-decent ones.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 10:37:23 am »
Why do you want a laptop? You can get a way wayyyy more powerful desktop for 500$. Then go out somewhere and get a crappy laptop for typing and whatnot for cheap

King Neptune

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 11:16:36 am »
portability, being able to take it places.

That's it really.

We already have 2 desktops at my house but I want one just for me where I don't have to worry about people deleting my stuff or my dad getting mad at me for getting a program he doesn't want.

So I want my own and I want something portable so I decided a laptop.

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 12:15:13 pm »
portability, being able to take it places.

That's it really.

We already have 2 desktops at my house but I want one just for me where I don't have to worry about people deleting my stuff or my dad getting mad at me for getting a program he doesn't want.

So I want my own and I want something portable so I decided a laptop.
If the 500 is yours, I suggest saving up another 500 and then looking again.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 06:20:01 pm »
yea...what icefox said.

and if you get mad amounts of money for christmas from relatives, then just wait :P