Author Topic: Did Jesus Exist?  (Read 17867 times)

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
Did Jesus Exist?
« on: January 07, 2006, 12:26:34 am »
Did Jesus exist? Italian court to decide

By Phil Stewart
Wed Jan 4, 10:28 PM ET

ROME (Reuters) - Forget the U.S. debate over intelligent design versus evolution.
ADVERTISEMENT

An Italian court is tackling Jesus -- and whether the Roman Catholic Church may be breaking the law by teaching that he existed 2,000 years ago.

The case pits against each other two men in their 70s, who are from the same central Italian town and even went to the same seminary school in their teenage years.

The defendant, Enrico Righi, went on to become a priest writing for the parish newspaper. The plaintiff, Luigi Cascioli, became a vocal atheist who, after years of legal wrangling, is set to get his day in court later this month.

"I started this lawsuit because I wanted to deal the final blow against the Church, the bearer of obscurantism and regression," Cascioli told Reuters.

Cascioli says Righi, and by extension the whole Church, broke two Italian laws. The first is "Abuso di Credulita Popolare" (Abuse of Popular Belief) meant to protect people against being swindled or conned. The second crime, he says, is "Sostituzione di Persona", or impersonation.

"The Church constructed Christ upon the personality of John of Gamala," Cascioli claimed, referring to the 1st century Jew who fought against the Roman army.

A court in Viterbo will hear from Righi, who has yet to be indicted, at a January 27 preliminary hearing meant to determine whether the case has enough merit to go forward.

"In my book, The Fable of Christ, I present proof Jesus did not exist as a historic figure. He must now refute this by showing proof of Christ's existence," Cascioli said.

Speaking to Reuters, Righi, 76, sounded frustrated by the case and baffled as to why Cascioli -- who, like him, came from the town of Bagnoregio -- singled him out in his crusade against the Church.

"We're both from Bagnoregio, both of us. We were in seminary together. Then he took a different path and we didn't see each other anymore," Righi said.

"Since I'm a priest, and I write in the parish newspaper, he is now suing me because I 'trick' the people."

Righi claims there is plenty of evidence to support the existence of Jesus, including historical texts.

He also claims that justice is on his side. The judge presiding over the hearing has tried, repeatedly, to dismiss the case -- prompting appeals from Cascioli.

"Cascioli says he didn't exist. And I said that he did," he said. "The judge will to decide if Christ exists or not."

Even Cascioli admits that the odds are against him, especially in Roman Catholic Italy.

"It would take a miracle to win," he joked.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060105/od_uk_..._religion_court

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Did Jesus Exist?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 01:46:22 am »
This is the lowest it could go. Yes, I believe he existed & he still does exist. Why should people decide if someone can preach about Jeus or not? That's just low and stupid. Let people do whatever they feel like preaching about. >_<

Offline Daniel

• SpongeBob
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
Did Jesus Exist?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 08:41:36 am »
Well, here it starts.

maxmyles

Did Jesus Exist?
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 09:08:09 am »
I don't get why people have to debate of this stuff. Why can't people just make their own decisions? Instead of having someone make them by what they think?

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
Did Jesus Exist?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 03:01:17 pm »
He did exist, but he was not the son of God.

BiggerSquarierSpongier

Did Jesus Exist?
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 03:22:42 pm »
[snapback]264075[/snapback]
Maybe not in your opinion, seeing as how you don't believe in God, but he is God's son.

Offline SpongeBrain

• SpongeBob
  • YEEAHHHHHHH
    • View Profile
Did Jesus Exist?
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 03:46:12 pm »
Maybe not in your opinion, seeing as how you don't believe in God, but he is God's son.
[snapback]264078[/snapback]
Maybe in your opinion, seeing as how you do believe he is.
All Time

Weekly

Offline Daniel

• SpongeBob
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
Did Jesus Exist?
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 04:56:20 pm »
I believe he is the son of God. I have faith that he did. Then again, I'm some crazy right-wing nut.

Offline SpongeBrain

• SpongeBob
  • YEEAHHHHHHH
    • View Profile
Did Jesus Exist?
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 04:58:24 pm »
And you have the right to believe that. I just hate it when people say stuff like "He was the son of God and that's that." or "He wasn't the son of God!".
All Time

Weekly

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
Did Jesus Exist?
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 05:03:53 pm »

Prove me right or prove me wrong.

Offline Daniel

• SpongeBob
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
Did Jesus Exist?
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 05:40:44 pm »
Kevin, have you ever heard of faith? :mellow:

BiggerSquarierSpongier

Did Jesus Exist?
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 05:43:23 pm »
Okay, I know not everyone believes that he is the son of God. But I do. And I'm not just gonna sit here and let someone state it as a fact that he isn't real, when I know from the Bible that he is real. And I also know that not everyone believes what the Bible says, and I can't force anyone to believe it. I'm just standing up for what I believe in. And anyways, what seperates the Bible from the rest of history, anyways? All it is is a book of written records, so why is it any different from stuff that we read about in history books?

Offline Scilla

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Did Jesus Exist?
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 07:50:07 pm »
Man, Kevin you are so depressing. What is life if you aren't going to believe there is something better out there? You know what? I dont really care what you believe right now. Because it is your decision to think what you want or blah blah blah. Honestly, things like this are scaring me.

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Did Jesus Exist?
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 07:54:21 pm »

[snapback]264100[/snapback]
This is...#23423 topic about religion or something about God/Jesus? Why can't we just leave this alone? Some people believe in Him and some don't. I am getting tired of this crap already.

maxmyles

Did Jesus Exist?
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 08:32:54 pm »

[snapback]264100[/snapback]
This is...#23423 topic about religion or something about God/Jesus? Why can't we just leave this alone? Some people believe in Him and some don't. I am getting tired of this crap already.
[snapback]264166[/snapback]
Yeah. Why don't people just leave others alone. Let people decide whether or not to believe in God/Jesus.