Author Topic: References to other shows in SB  (Read 10981 times)

ernest310

References to other shows in SB
« on: March 14, 2006, 03:29:17 pm »
What other shows and programs does SB make reference to?

The most obvious one that comes to mind is Mermaidman and Barnacleboy being an allusion to Batman and Robin.  You see many similarities in their actions and the way it's presented.

But I'm sure there are many obscure ones as well.  Here's one I found:

In the episode "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic," Spongebob and Patrick make a reference to the Christian children's program VeggieTales.

Spongebob sees that "Kevin the sea cucumber" is there at the jellyfishing convention.  Patrick replies, "What's so great about a nerdy pickle?"

Patrick is making a sly reference to the VeggieTales character Larry the Cucumber who could quite possibly be classified as "nerdy."  Larry is always being confused for a pickle.

Patrick's statement by itself is pretty open, but Spongebob replies with a statement like "If I could only touch the hem of his cloak" or something close to that.  That's actually a biblical reference to the woman who had been subject to bleeding for many years, coming up and touching Jesus' cloak and being instantly healed.  This strongly suggests that the producers had VeggieTales in mind in writing those lines.

Anyway, that's not a reference many people (especially kids) are likely to catch (I could be wrong about that, feel free to correct me.)

What other shows (from Batman/Robin to VeggieTales) do SB episodes make reference to?  Especially ones folks are likely to miss?

The_Man

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 07:08:53 pm »
Alot of people siad this, but the close-ups are very alike to ren & stimpy's.

ti89titanium

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 07:25:05 pm »
Hmm. Those VeggieTales references seemed to only happen in "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic". Who were the crew members on that episode? Maybe there's a difference.

BiggerSquarierSpongier

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 01:06:10 pm »
I think a better, already done topic, would be References in other shows to SB, because there really aren't that many tv show references. For a movie reference, the entire episode of Clams as well as Squeaky Boots, so I've heard. And then The Sponge Who could fly = The boy who could fly.

By the way, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy weren't exactly copied off of Batman and Robin, despite the title cards that come up and say stuff like POW, KING ME!, etc. They were almost exactly copied from Aquaman and Aqualad. They were pretty much the same characters except fused with Tim Conway and Ernest Borgnine in appearence.

garyfan

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 03:03:11 pm »
A lot of them are pretty obvious but some you consider infrences when they really aren't...i dunno.

bub1028

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 03:58:33 pm »
Umm... the Tell Tale Heart by Poe, not a Tv show, but that's all i can think of.

ti89titanium

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 04:57:21 pm »
oh yeah! There was a book about some confession that Sqeaky Boots alluded to and, of course, Clams=>Jaws

bub1028

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 04:49:56 am »
That was the book, ti89titanium.  The tell-tale heart.

ti89titanium

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 09:52:05 am »
Oh, I see. My lack of knowledge is my downfall.

ernest310

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 01:28:47 pm »
I forgot an obvious one: "Neptune's Spatula" and King Arthur.

And I agree with BiggerSquarerSpongier--it's even better to think about references in other shows to SB.

I wouldn't have much of a clue about what other shows are saying about SB, since I watch almost zero television.  I got into SB primarily because I happened upon an episode ("Krusty Krab Training Video," I later found out) midway through--right when the narrator is talking about the phrase "poop," which I found completely ridiculous.  Anyway, it got my attention and over the following months I enjoyed SB more and more till the point now where it's my favorite show by far.  And one of the only ones I watch!

Wormy Lives!

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 01:56:39 pm »
Actually, "Clams" is a parody of Moby Dick. An example is Mr. Krabs nailing a sandwich to a pole.

BiggerSquarierSpongier

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 05:11:54 pm »
Yah, I guess it is.. but the music parts were making fun of Jaws.

spongegor

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 02:12:13 pm »
I am not sure what SB episode relates to any other show.

Sb129

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 02:30:35 pm »
Jeffery the Jellyfish is like Barney or Big Bird.

spongegor

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 01:53:05 pm »
Alrighty then, that made alot of sense.