Author Topic: Goth is offensive, Deathpunk is better  (Read 9789 times)

Banshee 1919

Goth is offensive, Deathpunk is better
« on: August 25, 2007, 12:30:49 am »
I'd prefer using the euphesism Deathpop or Gloom-pop when applied to Siouxsie and the Banshees and Bauhaus, Gothic doesn't suit their style in terms of music and image and the many vampiric and horror-inspired dresses marketed as "Gothic" to kids inspired by popular images of vampires, read vampire prose and listen to gloom pop and art punk who call themselves as Goth. Goth is overused as a slang, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Bauhaus belong more to punk and pop because that's how they are (with Siouxsie and the Banshees beginning as a punk/post-punk band then a pop group and Bauhaus as a punk/art-punk band).

Goth has lost much of its meaning, formerly applied to grotesque Gothic novels of the Romantic era and medieval art and architecture now referring to punk rock dealing with sadness and emotion. It's overused.

yo! lets eat PUDDIN

Re: Goth is offensive, Deathpunk is better
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 08:58:07 pm »
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 04:50:29 am by yo! lets eat PUDDIN »

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 12:02:30 am »
Gothic is a beautiful term.  And yeah, Siouxie and the Banshees definitely qualify under the true name of Goth.  According to music history, they helped start the whole revolution.  Other good gothic bands are: The Cure, Nightwish, AFI (their last three albums), and HIM.

Banshee 1919.2

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 12:21:42 am »
I was the one who started it, anyhow I feel like that Goth became more of a slang than what it originally was applied to medieval arts and architecture, Gothic novels and the short stories of Edgar Allen Poe. I'd like to call that music that Siouxsie and the Banshees and Bauhaus are grouped in, vampire punk. And vampire art and fiction to distinguish it from Gothic fiction (though Gothic novels predate horror and mystery short stories of now, so fairly vampire horror is a subgenre of horror, therefore with Goth).

To make it fair, call the style and music Vampire Goth from Gothic arts and barbarians.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 09:22:47 am »
ARE YOU PEOPLE REALLY HIS CRAZY!?

Everyone knows the WORST music ever written is rap and R&B...all those promote is sex, drug abuse, violence and gun crime....plus gang formation.
Having a song that expresses death does not make it goth. I heard a metal song that was about death.
Deathpunk is the wrong term to use, it's real name is goth.
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

Patback399

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 11:03:38 am »

Everyone knows the WORST music ever written is rap and R&B...all those promote is sex, drug abuse, violence and gun crime....plus gang formation.
Having a song that expresses death does not make it goth. I heard a metal song that was about death.

I heards a folk song about deaths. Is called "Desolation Row".

Have you heard Marvin Gaye? You think his music, which is clearly R&B promotes violence?

Offline Rocko

• SpongeBob
  • Initiative comes to thems that wait.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 11:15:59 am »

Have you heard Marvin Gaye? You think his music, which is clearly R&B promotes violence?
She's talking about the mainstream dolphin noise, you see on MTV, and hear on the radio.

In order to make it through the world one needs some insanity.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 11:30:25 am »

She's talking about the mainstream dolphin noise, you see on MTV, and hear on the radio.

Not just MTV either...Kerrang use to show good stuff...but recently they started playing RAP!!! :o

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

Patback399

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 11:47:06 am »
Oh, come on! Not all rap is offensive!

For example, Rodney Dangerfield's "Rappin' Rodney".

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 11:52:05 am »
Oh, come on! Not all rap is offensive!

For example, Rodney Dangerfield's "Rappin' Rodney".

All I hear on the radio is a bunch of rappers talking about their 'sweet rides' and 'girls getting their ***s out' and drug abuse.
Then when I go into the VILLAGE CENTER I see kids with their hoods up, a boom-box over their shoulder playing that crap at full blast whilst they pick on some pre-school kid.
That kind of music rots the brain in my opinion.

Offline Scilla

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 12:27:47 pm »
Listen to John Rueben. He'll so turn your image of rap around.

Offline SpongeBrain

• SpongeBob
  • YEEAHHHHHHH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 12:42:15 pm »
RAP IS CRAP!!! ITS SO BAD. ALL THEY EVER TALK ABOUT IS VIOLENCE AND THEY USE SWEAR WORDS. I NEVER HEARD ANYTHING PAST TODAYS MAINSTREAM RAP BUT I DEFINITELY KNOW THAT ITS ALL BAD BECAUSE I MAKE NARROW MINDED ASSUMPTIONS OF MUSIC.
All Time

Weekly

Offline SpongeBrain

• SpongeBob
  • YEEAHHHHHHH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 12:45:08 pm »
also, deathpop's cool
All Time

Weekly

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 01:17:55 am »
RAP IS CRAP!!! ITS SO BAD. ALL THEY EVER TALK ABOUT IS VIOLENCE AND THEY USE SWEAR WORDS. I NEVER HEARD ANYTHING PAST TODAYS MAINSTREAM RAP BUT I DEFINITELY KNOW THAT ITS ALL BAD BECAUSE I MAKE NARROW MINDED ASSUMPTIONS OF MUSIC.

LOL