Author Topic: Wireless Modem  (Read 6955 times)

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Wireless Modem
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2004, 05:58:28 pm »
Mmm... paranoia.  By the way... if you're saying what I think you're saying, then its... well... yea.  Anyway, what I think you're saying is that by connecting to your wireless network, someone can find out where you live, which, obviously, is true.  You have to be within a few hundred feet (at the most, unless they're using some high gain antenna) to connect, and by seeing where the signal strength is highest, you can figure out where the access point is...
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Offline winbindd

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://compbrain.net
Wireless Modem
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2004, 06:07:25 pm »
If their "hacking into your system" via wireless, then they DO know where you are, because typically you must be within 200-800ft of the Access Point/Router to access its signal. That right there is kind of a dead giveaway, but the person could be outside your window. From the internet they can not do that sort of thing. Im not worried about someone finding out "Where I am" by looking at my mailbox, so dont worry about people finding you by your wireless.
~Winbindd

-----
EDIT: Just noted Cmonkeys above post. /me smacks self in head
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 06:07:55 pm by winbindd »

Offline RandomDude18

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Wireless Modem
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2004, 06:33:53 pm »
I think SSS means a hacker in another state finding out where you live.

Rabble

Wireless Modem
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2004, 09:35:06 pm »

Just cause you hear somone says it sucks doesn't mean it actully sucks Did you even Use it once?? Wireless never screws up for me

« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 09:52:09 pm by Evilspongee »

Snowthrower

Wireless Modem
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2004, 10:20:17 pm »
If their "hacking into your system" via wireless, then they DO know where you are, because typically you must be within 200-800ft of the Access Point/Router to access its signal.

Using the right antenna and adapter, I could easily pick up signals up to quarter/half of a mile away using an with an B/G card and the right software and drivers.

Also, another reason you might want to consider is alot of people who hijack Wi-Fi accounts hack from them or download warez.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 10:20:45 pm by Snowthrower »