Poll

what would you prefer said to you around this season?

Merry Christmas
13 (59.1%)
Happy Holidays
9 (40.9%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Merry Christmas Versus Happy Holidays  (Read 17121 times)

MiraclrPlz

Merry Christmas Versus Happy Holidays
« on: December 22, 2004, 08:14:10 pm »
It is the hieght of intolerance to combine the religious holidays of Christians, Jews, Kwanzist, anfd pagans together into one generic observince whose purpose is not religious but purely secular.  Each of these holidays has a sacred and profoundly spiriutal meaning to those who observe them.  Does it do justice to merely merge them all together and claim that "they all represent the smae thing"?  

It is the height of bigotry and fanaticism to insist that everyone celebrate the same holiday as one another.  We all have the right to religoious freed om and if I choose to celebrate Christmas instead of Hunakka or Kwanza then isnt that my right as a human being to do so?

Why do we all have to beleive the same thigns as one another?  Whayt ever happened to toelrance for peopels different religious beliefs and holidys?  Don't those of us who observe Christmas have the same right tolerance for our beleifs as people of other faiths?  

I don't want to celebrate swomeone elses religious or cultural holiday anymore then they want to observe mine.  Are you going to force me to?

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 08:17:23 pm »
Intolerance? Hardly. They want to do this so 1. It recognizes all the religions at once, and 2. It saves time over Happy Christmas, Kwanzaa, Channukah, Winter Solstice, etc.

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 08:23:13 pm »
I love how Atheists complain that Christmas only celebrates Chistianity when duh. Christmas is a Christian holiday. Like how they were protesting the baby Jesus manjer (SP?) scene. Seriously, some people have no lives.

Gideon Brown

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 08:23:16 pm »
Well; MSP if you don't wanna insult someone's wishes, just say all of those ::Dolphin Noise::ed sayings. Holy son of a cow!

MiraclrPlz

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 08:25:16 pm »
Why should I have to celebrate someone elses holiday instead of my own.  Im a Catholic and therefore I celebrate Christmas. I do not beleive tHat all religions are equala nd believe the same thing.  Its intolerant to trey and forcce me to go agaisnt me religion in order to placate other people and their faiths.  This is America and I shall do as I please. In that Commercial about the Rugrats going Happy Christmas Hannuakka Quanza Winter Solstice, Chucky mentioned he likes getting presents and spinning a draidle and stuff that sounds pagan...that is combining them all.  Out of respect for 96% of this country, we should be left alone.  I miss the days when department stores just said Merry Christmas.  Those were the days.  It should still be that way.  Many are fighting for it.  Traditional people.  I'm a believer!

Gideon Brown

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 08:27:33 pm »
Exactly the opposite of your point. If you shouldn't have to listen to "Happy Hannakuh" why should the Jews have to listen to "Merry Christmas?" You make NO FREAKING SENSE!

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 08:29:44 pm »
I'm not even gonna touch this.

oscar_the_grouch

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 01:47:24 am »
i just say have a nice day. im not into holidays and i could care less what you celibrate. wishing someone a nice day has nothing to do with holidays and is much more general. msp what was the point of this as a debate?

Paige

Sb129

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 06:00:16 am »
Since I celebrate X-mas it's Merry Christmas for me.

Starr2k3

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 06:53:20 am »
I'll say "Happy Holidays" since I don't know if the person may not be Christan or some other type of religon.

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 07:30:36 am »
I prefer Happy New Year

Sb129

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 07:35:42 am »
:excl: HA!HA! :excl:  :happy:

Megan

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 09:03:03 am »
I've been saying "Have an awesome break!"

sponge monkey100

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2004, 11:37:23 am »
i'd say Merry Christmas since I and every one I know celabrates christmas!

Offline AppleNick

• SpongeBob
  • ドブネズミみたいに
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2004, 01:23:44 pm »
What a bunch of crap... I voted Happy Holidays, since you can never know which Holiday they celebrate.