Author Topic: Which world?  (Read 12167 times)

williambob286

Which world?
« on: November 11, 2005, 02:57:54 pm »
Which world you choose to live in? The old times, or today.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 05:55:20 pm by cmonkey »

Elizabeth Rose

Which world?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 03:44:55 pm »
Old times without a doubt.

Dragon Of Grief

Which world?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 03:55:10 pm »
I like the world today... it is every day getting better and better in... in certain ways of course.

Spongey4

Which world?
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 04:18:45 pm »
Today..it has better things like TV and Comps (DUh)

Patback399

Which world?
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 05:04:30 pm »
The old days. There was more love. Now, if you say you love a guy, you're considered gay. That shouldn't be the case. You should love everyone. You won't be gay you would be a good person. Even in today's culture, there's negative views. Back in the old days (I'm talking 50s - 70s), no songs said, "Go screw your brother" or anything like that. It was a much better time. You could just relax. I don't care if there was no technology. For what does it profit a man if he shall gain the world but lose his soul?

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Which world?
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 05:54:50 pm »
Today's world, definately.  We've never before gotten this close to having a world in which basic human rights and needs were met for all, not just the rich or the strong.  Of course, that statement has been slightly strained for America since the election of 2000, but for the world as a whole, it's been offset by amazing progress in eastern Europe, parts of Asia, and many African countries.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 05:57:38 pm by cmonkey »
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
Which world?
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 07:51:39 am »
It's too hard to choose...we have better stuff in this time...but in the old days, people showed more respect and there was more love and care....today it's all wrong.
So...I can't really choose.
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

Megan

Which world?
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 08:11:00 am »
I agree with CMonkey, 50 years ago, there was horrible discrimination against anyone who wasn't a white man. I couldn't imagine being around all that hatred and violence. Yeah, there's hatred and violence today, but, It's mostly stuff that people get their own selves into.

Offline Daniel

• SpongeBob
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
Which world?
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 08:40:21 am »
My mom said the "discrimination" wasn't as bad as it was made out to be. Then again, that could have just been where she lived.

Anywho, I would live in the old times.

edso

Which world?
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 11:15:11 am »
Hmm..

Old times 60s and 80s own your soul.

Offline SizzlinSean

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://
Which world?
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 11:56:18 am »
I could easily live without technology (excluding my spectacular cell phone), but I prefer the mentality of my time better. So I pick now.

Offline Isnt Anything

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • I look at the sounds through filters.
    • View Profile
Which world?
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2005, 01:26:42 pm »
Back in the 40's or 50's. The music was better. I could live without the internet and a cell phone. The only thing I'd change is the human rights. But for the most part. The 40's and 50's.

Fifth Dynasty

Which world?
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2005, 01:29:35 pm »
I'd love to live in the 20s through the 40s. Everything seemed perfect then (it wasn't, but it seemed so). But I really do love todays world. Without an instant messenger I wouldn't have any friends...

ernest310

Which world?
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 10:42:04 am »
I admit I was getting a bit upset, as I usually do when folks wax nostalgic over the "good old days," until I saw Megan's post (to which I said "thank you, thank you, thank you!!!")

I'll say this again later, but I don't blame anyone for believing the "old days" to be fundamentally better than today.  I'm going to disagree, yes, but I don't blame anyone for their perspectives (I'm not on anyone's case here--I'm upset at the content of the comments, not the individuals who made them.)  Let me explain what I mean:

To say that "everything seemed perfect then" (Fifth Dynasty) is to exhibit a profound amnesia about the violent history of the United States against people of color.  Sure, the "old days" were a time in which you could "relax" (Patback)--but only if you were white (and a white man in particular.)

Again, I'm not blaming anyone here.  Why?  Because I believe the blame lies squarely with our school education.  I mean, how do you tell children, especially young ones, that Thomas Jefferson, the man who wrote "All men are created equal," owned nearly 200 black slaves at the same time?  We end up becoming profoundly unaware of this country's history--and this is what leads us to believe that the "old days" were necessarily better.  We're given a watered-down version of US history that insulates us from some of the not-so-admirable actions white people have taken against people of color in the name of freedom and democracy--such as removing Native Americans from their land, killing off 90% of them through (mainly) disease and acts of violence, and sticking the rest on reservations, effectively violating every treaty the (white) US government made with them.  From a Native American point of view, the old days are hardly "perfect."

One can say that people "showed more respect and there was more love and care" in the old days, but it was only white people doing that--to each other, not to black people.  Prior to the civil rights movement of the 1960s, white kids--especially in the South, but not just there--were socialized to consider blacks inferior.  They wouldn't be allowed to play with black kids and were taught to disrespect them.  That was the culture of the time.

garyfan

Which world?
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 12:34:42 pm »
Today, it kicks ::Dolphin Noise::.