Author Topic: Do you believe in Purgatory?  (Read 14548 times)

MiraclrPlz

Do you believe in Purgatory?
« on: May 27, 2005, 08:28:48 pm »

Here's an exact definition:
After death, persons who had repented of their sins but had not expiated them are purged before entering Heaven. Everyone who enters Purgatory will eventually reach Heaven, therefore it is not some lesser form of ::Dolphin Noise::. Prayers for the dead and indulgences can shorten one's own or loved one's stay in Purgatory: "We believe that alms, sacrifice, and other benefits can be of help to the dead" (Denziger §427, 1208). In Catholic theology, some sins — i.e. those against the Holy Spirit — may not be forgiven "neither in this life nor in the future" (Mt 12:32 (http://drbo.org/cgi-bin/d?b=drb&bk=47&ch=012&l=32)); whereas "fire will test the work of each one [i.e. individual person], of what kind it [the work] is" (1 Cor 3:13 (http://drbo.org/cgi-bin/d?b=drb&bk=53&ch=003&l=13)), so that a kind of after-death processing may be assumed to exist, assuming that one accepts the Scriptures as part of their religious faith. The dogma of Purgatory was clarified by the Catholic Church in 1254 (see Denziger §456: "[W]e, since they say a place of purgation of this kind has not been indicated to them with a certain and proper name by their teachers, we indeed, calling it purgatory according to the traditions and authority of the Holy Fathers, wish that in the future it be called by that name..."). Before that time the essential concept was referred to by Clement of Alexandria (202)¹, Tertullian (c. 210), Cyprian of Carthage (253), Lactantius (307), Cyril of Jerusalem (350), Gregory of Nyssa (382), St. John Chrysostom (392), and St. Augustine (411),² among others. Christian doctrine is normally clarified in this fashion, with concepts having clear roots being given explicit names by dogmatic decree at a later time (see papal infallibility for another example). Various additional Scripture verses cited in support of a period of purgation after death and/or efficacy of prayers for the dead include Dan 12:10
Purgatory Dogmatical(something that a man is obligated to believe on painstake of his salvation) and yet liberal catholics reject it.  It does exist weather they like it or not.  So whadda u think?  (it's real)

Chrono

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 08:29:52 pm »
I do think it's real even though I recently heard about it from my teacher. We pray for the souls in purgatory everyday in our class.

MiraclrPlz

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 08:33:46 pm »
I applaud thee.  Thank you.  Because I'll bet my grandpa is in purgatory.  He cheated on my grandma.  I hope he's not burning in heck!

super_sayian_spongebob

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 08:36:26 pm »
I believe in Purgatory, of course. It's way better then he11 in my opinion.

Offline SizzlinSean

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 08:52:41 pm »
Nope. Heaven and Hell. No inbetween.

Offline Daniel

• SpongeBob
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 09:18:12 pm »
Purgatory was made up by a pope so people wouldn't think they would either go to heaven or he11.

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 09:23:18 pm »
Nope. Heaven and Hell. No inbetween.
[snapback]183090[/snapback]
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 09:29:01 pm by Elizabeth Rose »

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 10:07:26 pm »
Nope. Heaven and ::Dolphin Noise::. No inbetween.
You.
Are.
Da.
Man.

timstapels

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 01:16:25 am »
I don't really believe in it. Just....I don't know....science has...well....

Offline DiE HaRrD PuNk

• SpongeBob
  • 3 Am.
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 07:20:23 am »
ok, msp your asking us if we think its real, well you just said this(it is real) . you didnt give me much of a choice there did ya sunshine?

anyways, i dont know. i really have moved away from god. ill try to go to church or pray more often. anyways....
Sometimes when I sleep at night I think of (Dr. Seuss's) 'Hop on Pop.'
    --George w. Bush

Washington, DC
04/02/2002

Names Rachel....call me that or Rae...whichever.. :P

<33 Asian Guys Are Hawt<33

www.myspace.com/punkshorty

GrEeNdAyFrEaK

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 08:38:52 am »
[snapback]183099[/snapback]
I'll third that.

Banana

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 09:06:21 am »
[snapback]183099[/snapback]
I'll third that.
[snapback]183291[/snapback]

Fourth'd!

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 10:58:10 am »
I think if there is an afterlife, it has to be something much more complicated than Heaven/Hell. If there is one, it'd be something our minds couldn't conceive.

Jackie-Boy

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2005, 11:12:12 am »
I think if there is an afterlife, it has to be something much more complicated than Heaven/::Dolphin Noise::. If there is one, it'd be something our minds couldn't conceive.
[snapback]183328[/snapback]

Speaking of the H word... Don't you think we should be able to use it in this context, as long as we're like "You're going to ::Dolphin Noise::!" I mean, if someone does that, they should be banned, but otherwise it should be acceptable. Just a thought.

MiraclrPlz

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2005, 12:51:30 pm »
Yeah it should be allowed to be said in that context.  we aibnt first graiders.