Author Topic: Flag Burning  (Read 16138 times)

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Flag Burning
« on: December 14, 2004, 06:20:04 pm »
What's your opinion on the matter... I'll say mine after someone disagrees with it  :tongue:
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Flag Burning
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 06:21:13 pm »
burning the american flag? It depends...most americans would kick the poop out of you for doing it. Others would just stand and watch

Offline Rocko

• SpongeBob
  • Initiative comes to thems that wait.
    • View Profile
Flag Burning
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 06:29:46 pm »
It depends, if you're burning the flag because you hate America it's worng. But if your burning a flag to retire it, (Wich your suposed to do) it's ok.

In order to make it through the world one needs some insanity.

Gideon Brown

Flag Burning
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 06:51:59 pm »
WELL!! If a flag touches the ground, automatically you are supposed to burn it because you disgraced your country. But honestly...I really don't care about the American Flag...the CANADIAN on the other hand..*pauses* shmeh...still don't really care.

Megan

Flag Burning
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 07:05:09 pm »
I think, if it touches the ground, Oh well, it's gravity.

Dragon Of Grief

Flag Burning
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 07:07:56 pm »
It's Unamerican to burn a US flag. It's basically saying you HATE your country. It's just sickening.

Fredaykin

Flag Burning
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 07:45:10 pm »
I think it is a surprisingly American thing to burn the flag.  I personally don't encourage it, but it represents what our country is all about.  No matter what you believe, everyone has the right to demonstrate what they believe in, even if it infuriates almost everyone else.  People need to understand that there is a huge difference between hating your country and hating some of the things that it does.  On the whole, i would say that i love America.  It has so many freedoms and rights that we truly are blessed to have.  At the same time, this country does many things that at times make me truly ashamed.  I'm proud of what the USA ideally represents, but i am not at all proud of the fact that we treat much of the world so poorly, that on the average we are extremely wasteful and hurtful to the environment, that so many consider killing to be acceptable based solely on the ends we want to achieve, and that so many Americans are ridiculously arogant.  I think it shows a love for your country to have the courage and devotion to publicly speak out against what you see as being wrong with it.  If you are trying to make this country better and turn it into the best America that can proudly be an example to the rest of the world, then i would argue it is an extremely American thing to do.

Dragon Of Grief

Flag Burning
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 07:57:55 pm »
Hmm, I love how you twisted your words around to make it sound like defacing our national symbol is OK. I think it is horrible that all this stuff with the war had to happen but we can't let people push us around... but of course I am sure you can twist THAT up somehow too :rolleyes:

Offline SizzlinSean

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://
Flag Burning
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 08:01:57 pm »
This reminds of of the episode of Futurama where Dr. Zoidburg ate the flag...

If a flag needs to be retired, then I agree in burning it. Thats the patriotic way to do it in my opinion. But if someone just does it out of spite for America, then thats wrong. Its like that with all countries.

Offline AppleNick

• SpongeBob
  • ドブネズミみたいに
    • View Profile
Flag Burning
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 08:03:03 pm »
I don't like it if they're hating America. It's like flipping off the people who died for our country. But if it's been thrown on the ground and things like that, it's fine. (Which I have done before, and don't ever want to do again)

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Flag Burning
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 08:13:04 pm »
Hmm, I love how you twisted your words around to make it sound like defacing our national symbol is OK. I think it is horrible that all this stuff with the war had to happen but we can't let people push us around... but of course I am sure you can twist THAT up somehow too :rolleyes:
[snapback]136789[/snapback]
What better way is there to show disdain for one's country than by burning the symbol that millions of it's citizens pledge alliegence to each day.  It is one of the ultimate forms of nonviolent protest.  My justification for burning the flag is that making it illegal would limit the basic human right to question and oppose one's government.  Therefore, "defacing our national symbol is ok."  Burning a flag for no reason is just... foolish, but burning one to protest the USA makes perfect sense.  One of the reasons that America is great is that political dissent has always been allowed.  Compare that to Soviet Russia, China, or most dictatorships, where dissent meant death.

I don't like it if they're hating America. It's like flipping off the people who died for our country. But if it's been thrown on the ground and things like that, it's fine. (Which I have done before, and don't ever want to do again)
[snapback]136792[/snapback]
People died (for the most part) to give us the freedoms that people in other parts of the world are denied, such as the freedoms of speech and expression.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 08:15:22 pm by cmonkey »

MiraclrPlz

Flag Burning
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 08:21:12 pm »
How dare people burn the flag in an act of defiance to Bush!  My great-grandfather died for that flag!  And people who do that are not citizens but subhumans!

Offline Isnt Anything

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • I look at the sounds through filters.
    • View Profile
Flag Burning
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2004, 09:29:09 am »
I think it is a surprisingly American thing to burn the flag.  I personally don't encourage it, but it represents what our country is all about.  No matter what you believe, everyone has the right to demonstrate what they believe in, even if it infuriates almost everyone else.  People need to understand that there is a huge difference between hating your country and hating some of the things that it does.  On the whole, i would say that i love America.  It has so many freedoms and rights that we truly are blessed to have.  At the same time, this country does many things that at times make me truly ashamed.  I'm proud of what the USA ideally represents, but i am not at all proud of the fact that we treat much of the world so poorly, that on the average we are extremely wasteful and hurtful to the environment, that so many consider killing to be acceptable based solely on the ends we want to achieve, and that so many Americans are ridiculously arogant.  I think it shows a love for your country to have the courage and devotion to publicly speak out against what you see as being wrong with it.  If you are trying to make this country better and turn it into the best America that can proudly be an example to the rest of the world, then i would argue it is an extremely American thing to do.
[snapback]136779[/snapback]

You're one of the smartest lads on this forum.

super_sayian_spongebob

Flag Burning
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2004, 02:31:56 pm »
People who burn flags hate they're own nation. If you go to the middle east THEY ACTUALLY DO THAT FOR A LIVING!!!

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Flag Burning
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2004, 02:35:34 pm »
... did I miss something?  Middle Eastern countries are some of the most nationalistic on earth, not that thats a good thing.